PP40 Permeable Paving Grids | Porous Pavers
Introduction to PP40 Paver
Introduction to PP40 PaverX
Suregreen PP40 has been intentionally designed to be a universal and versatile paver that can be successfully used in many applications. Commonly it is used for domestic driveways, overflow car parks, access roads, pedestrian walkways and emergency and disabled routes.
The PP40 paver is a 40mm deep permeable grid that is available in black or green and can be filled with either a gravel or grass and still maintain a reinforcing, free draining surface.
This is a robust paver that can meet the challenging demands that many applications will impose on the paver. The hexagonal shaped cells of this paver is one of the strongest shapes in nature, which assists the paver in resisting the turning movements of traffic. The paver has integral spikes on the underside of the mould to help counteract the downward forces produced by the movement and motion of traffic. It also means that during installation no pegging is required which will save time and reduce expenditure.
The paver has an expected lifetime of 20 years and is designed to be able to be use all year round, and is suitable for driveways and overflow carparks. In certain circumstances, the paver can will be strong enough for infrequent use by HGV vehicles, this is depending on several factors and we ask that you seek out advice before using it for such an application.
Suregreen PP40 has been tested to a weight of 350 tonnes per m2. The paver has also been manufactured to withstand both high and low temperatures and expansion demands the UK climate can inflict.
Alll Suregreen pavers are made to be the working top layer of a fully permeable SuDS compliant construction profile. Moulded from a UV stabilised specifically carefully chosen mixture of recycled plastics that are durable and long lasting.
Suregreen PP40 permeable grid has been exhaustively tested to UNI CEI EN ISO/IEC 17025 certification to regards to load bearing and to 20 tonne wheel load SWL - DIN 1072 & UNI CEI EN ISO/IEC 17025 certification. Please see the full specification sheet in our technical segment.
For full detail on the construction aspects please refer to the complete technical design guidelines within the technical area on the website (see link below).
Suregreen PP40 is suitable to be used as part of SuDS - the latest government guidelines regarding flood prevention. The grid will allow full permeability and so not create water runoff and so reducing the overall costs as generally no extra drainage is needed as the water is allowed to naturally permeate away.
PP40 Key Specifications
PP40 Key SpecificationsX
PP40 permeable paving grids are interlocking plastic grids used for ground reinforcement. These trafficking applications include car parking, paths, walkways and fire access lanes. PP40 paving grids provide a stable, reinforced, permeable load-bearing surface.
Dimensions: 500mm x 500mm x 40mm with additional 25mm spikes on the base
Weight: 1kg per individual piece (4kg per m²)
Internal cell dimensions: 57mm hexagonal
Case reinforcement/anti-shear: Four 25mm ground spikes
Connection method: Edge clips
Cell wall thickness: 3mm (+/- 2%)
Cell openness %: 95% on top and 75% on the base
Polymer: Recycled polyethylene
Colour: Black or green
Load-bearing capacity (filled): 350 tonnes per m², tested to UNI CEI EN ISO/ IEC 17025 Certification
Product control: Tested to ISO 9000
Traffic loading: Tested to DIN 1072 (20-tonne wheel load SWL)
Pavers per m²: Four
All data figures are nominal and are given in good faith. Suregreen Limited reserve the right to amend any data without prior notice. Product variances are provided as a guide and normal production and product characteristics are within these parameters.
PP40 Installation Guide
PP40 Installation GuideX
Prior to any work on site, it is highly advisable that a site survey – even if only a rudimentary one – is completed. Ask questions such as:
• Will the site drain naturally?
• What slopes - if any - need to be allowed for?
• What type of surface conditions and what type of soils are on site?
• Is the type of soil on the surface the same 200 - 400mm under the surface (will draining water be trapped on a non-porous layer?)
You will also need to consider an edge retention system or kerb of some form, as this is required by PP40 permeable pavers.
There are four basic layers to any construction profile:
1) The sub-grade
The sub-grade is at the bottom of the proﬁle. This is the layer after removal of the existing soils. The sub-grade could be as little as 100mm or as much as 500mm below the existing surface. It is advisable that the sub-grade is compacted (by roller or similar method) and an even working surface created.
2) The sub-base
On top of the sub-grade, a sub-base layer needs to be installed. This sub-base layer needs to be stable and porous. The sub-base ideally needs to be composed of a free-draining, sharp angular ﬁll material (angular stone or aggregate), 95% of which the particle size is of a mixed nature between 5mm to 45mm (MOT type3 or similar) with reduced ﬁne content which would produce a stable and porous sub-base/hard-core after compaction.
Ideally a geotextile layer needs to be installed at the bottom and the top of the sub-base. The geotextile will stabilise the sub-base by separating/ﬁltering, and this will limit fine material migration into the sub-base while still being permeable and allowing water to inﬁltrate. On top of the bottom layer of geotextile, a 20KN geogrid can be applied if desired.
3) The bedding layer
For a gravel finish, the bedding layer needs to be a free-draining, sharp angular 5 - 20mm gravel laid to a depth of approximately 40mm on top of the top layer of geotextile which has been installed above the sub-base. This bedding layer may require compaction using a vibrator plate or roller. The bedding layer must be smooth and level to allow an even surface for PP40 porous pavers to be laid onto.
4) Laying Suregreen PP40
The PP40 permeable pavers should be laid as level as possible onto the prepared gravel bedding layer, working from one corner and lying adjacent paving grids into their connectors. PP40 can be cut on-site using a handsaw, jig-saw or other mechanical saws to match site/client requirements, shapes and obstacles.
5) Filling the paver
PP40 then needs then to be filled with the same 5 - 20mm sharp angular gravel. With the spikes and the shearing action of the gravel, PP40 becomes locked within the gravel which enables it to resist the dynamic loadings imposed by the surface traffic. A light whacker plate after filling may be applied to settle the gravel, and then a small top up to refill the cells may be necessary. For cosmetic appearance, some clients may wish to overdress slightly with gravel.
Notes on Gravel:
Experience has shown a 5mm - 20mm sharp angular gravel gives the best results for providing a long-term, very low-maintenance wearing surface. The gravel interlocks/shears with itself and, more importantly, with the specially designed PP40 pavers.
Single size gravel - or worse, rounded gravel such as pea shingle - will lead to issues and failure. The more rounded and single size the gravel is, the faster problems are likely to happen.
To see our complete install guide please click here
CAD Drawing of PP40 Paver
PP40 Case Studies
PP40 Case StudiesX
PP40 car park and caravan park case studies:
County Meadow Caravan Park - Click here to visit the case study
Tamworth Car Park - Click here to visit the case study
Yorkshire Overflow Car Park - Click here to visit the case study
Essex Car Park - Click here to visit the case study
PP40 driveway case studies:
Redborn driveway renovation - Click here to visit the case study
Warwick Courtyard & Driveway - Click here to visit the case study
PP40 access route case studies:
Royal Tunbridge wells Access Route - Click here to visit the case study
Surrey Ambulance Route - Click here to visit the case study
Hertford Fire Access Route - Click here to visit the case study
Greater Manchester Emergency Access Route - Click here to visit the case study
Specifier & Trade Enquiries
Specifier & Trade EnquiriesX
Specifier and Trade Enquiries - Ground Reinforcement Products
Suregreen offer a wide range of ground reinforcement solutions, including Grass Reinforcement Mesh, Permeable Pavers, Geotextile rolls and more.
- Project Quotes
- Product and Specification Advice
- Technical Information, Design and Installation Guidance
- CPD Seminars
- Standard delivery is available.
- Click & Collect - available as soon as you place!
- Please note: 2.4m x 100mm x 200mm sleepers are not available for collection until the 28/10/20
- No-hassle 30 day returns policy.
IMPORTANT: To ensure a smooth delivery process please provide a valid phone number at checkout
PP40 permeable pavers are used where a permeable ground stabilisation solution is required for applications including driveways, car parks, overflow parking, car parking bays, cycle paths, pedestrian footpaths and wheelchair access paths. PP40 is our flagship paver in the PP range due to its strength and easy-to-install nature, making it a favourite whether you are installing a commercial car park or domestic driveway.
PP40 can be filled with either gravel or grass to provide a free-draining pavement surface that is SuDs source control compliant (Sustainable Urban Drainage System). PP40 porous paving provides over 350 tonnes of support per m².
The plastic paver's unique open cell structure is ideal for allowing grass roots to spread from cell to cell, allowing vertical and horizontal passage of water, drainage and the flow of nutrients. These benefits provide a great growing environment for grass with the ground stabilisation that the plastic porous paver gives to the grass's structure.
This structure also ensures that angular gravel is interlocked firmly so that it is retained in situ and won't move or be lost as a car wheel drives over. Please note that rounded pea shingle is not advised for this reason, but slightly angular gravel is recommended instead.
Each paver has the added benefit of a 25mm ground spike which helps resist lateral movement caused by repetitive traffic. PP40 porous pavers provide the grass or gravel with the structural integrity that is required to cope with stabilising the ground for pedestrians, cars, vans, trucks, lorries, coaches and buses.
- Overflow grass car parks/permeable gravel car parks
- Grass or gravel driveways
- Coach and bus parks
- Emergency fire lanes or fire engine access roads
- Helipads or light aircraft taxiways
- Pedestrian paths and garden paths
- Cycle tracks and paths
- Wheelchair/disabled access routes (DDA)
- Golf buggy/trolley paths
- SuDS source control schemes
Please note that with all installations of grass pavers, we strongly recommend that all areas should have sufficient drainage prior to the installation. Failure to ensure this may result in the product not performing as intended.
Features & Benefits:
- Each square metre is made up of four 500mm x 500mm grids for a fast and easy install
- Depth of 40mm allowing for the movement of larger vehicles compared to our lighter-grade pavers
- Attractive paving solution which can provide a natural grass or gravel surface
- Unique open cell structure allowing unrestricted healthy grass root growth or effectively retain gravel
- The individual pavers interlock to form a single robust surface
- 25mm ground spike to help resist lateral forces caused by vehicles
- Manufactured from 100% recycled plastics which have been UV-stabilised
- Paver profile that allows use in most weather conditions - they can expand on warmer days or in direct sunlight to stop lifting, and cope with cold temperatures where some other plastic pavers could become fragile
- Plastic grass paving grids are chemically inert, non-toxic and rot-free
- An eco-friendly and sustainable paving solution for trafficked areas
- Designed to meet the demands laid down by local government regarding flood alleviation and SuDS (Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems) requirements
- Load-bearing capacity: 350 tonnes per m² (tested to UNI CEI EN ISO/ IEC 17025 Certification)
- Compatible vehicle types: Bicycles, wheelchairs, golf carts, cars, caravans, transit vans, 3.5T and 7.5T vans, fire engines, ambulances and 2-axle lorries
- Suggested gravel size (for gravel finish): 5mm - 20mm angular gravel
- Suggested soil type (for grass finish): Rootzone soil
- Paver connection method: Edge clips
- Material: Recycled polyethylene
- Weight: 1kg per grid
- Integral ground spike size: 25mm
We provide two complete design guidelines for grass or gravel finishes that can be found in our technical section or by following the links below.
To visit our PP40 paver with gravel infill design guidelines please click here to visit our technical area.
To visit our PP40 paver with grass infill design guidelines please click here to visit our technical area.
We provide two complete installation guides for grass or gravel finishes that can be found in our technical section or by following the links below.
To visit our PP40 paver with gravelinfill install guide please click here to visit our technical area.
To visit our PP40 paver with grass infill install guide please click here to visit our technical area.
If you have any further questions that are not answered, please get in touch and our Ground Reinforcement experts will be happy to answer them.
- Geotextile Membrane Landscape FabricNot yet reviewedAs low as £11.45 £9.54 RRP £15.13
- PP50 Heavy Duty Permeable Paving GridsNot yet reviewedSpecial Offer £18.50 £15.42 RRP £21.84
- Melcourt Horticultural Gravel | 20kgNot yet reviewed£5.49 £4.57
- PP25 Lightweight Permeable Paving Grids - 1sqmNot yet reviewed£10.50 £8.75
- PP30 Decorative Permeable Paving Grids - 1sqmNot yet reviewedSpecial Offer £18.25 £15.21 RRP £21.99
- GR14 | Grass Reinforcement MeshNot yet reviewedAs low as £89.40 £74.50
- GR11 | Grass Reinforcement MeshNot yet reviewedAs low as £62.40 £52.00
- Truckgrid-Max Heavy Duty Permeable PaverNot yet reviewed£11.09 £9.24