Vigilis ventilated tree shelter tubes are rigid, twin-walled, cylindrical tree shelters with perforated holes for the top two-thirds of the tube. These vents provide an added benefit by helping the tree to develop stronger roots and aids trunk development by allowing them to adjust to the natural wind-rock of the area.
These shelters are designed for more exposed planting sites where there is a large contrast between external conditions and the conditions within the tree tube. The ventilated top half acclimatises the tree to potential harsh winds and the environment which aids trunk and root development. On the bottom third of the tube, the twin wall protects the tree from the use of herbicides being sprayed in the surrounding area.
These Vigilis shelters have a primary purpose of protecting the tree from damage from browsing animals including rabbits, hares, muntjac deer, roe deer, fallow deer, red deer and many more. Ventilated tree shelters can be used in forestry, landscaping, on road verges and for many other applications.
Which tree shelter do you need?
- Rabbits: 0.6m
- Hares: 0.75m
- Muntjac deer: 1.2m
- Fallow deer: 1.5
Benefits for plants
- Stronger root and trunk development compared to standard shelters - ideal for use in windy/exposed sites
- Protection against browsing animals including rabbits, hare and deer
- Better localisation of the plant at the early stage of plantations in strongly weeded areas
- Avoids abrasive damage on stem due to the flared top rim
- Quick and easy installation
We strongly suggest that a high-quality timber tree stake is used to install the ventilated tree shelter. Suregreen provides a range of treated softwood tree stakes from 25mm thick up to 32mm thick in heights from 60cm to 1.5m from stock. Like our standard tree shelters, Ventilated tree guard tubes come with pre-fitted releasable tree ties (cable ties) for fixing to timber tree stakes.
Our Tree Shelters are perfect to use with our:
- Heights: 60cm, 75cm
Features & benefits:
- Manufactured from UV-stabilised and photodegradable polypropylene
- Twin-wall tube construction
- Ventilation at the top end of the shelter
- Microclimate provided for the bottom third of the tree shelter
- Flared upper rim to minimise stem bark abrasion
- Pre-fitted with high-quality releasable tree ties (three ties as standard on the 1.5m¬†tree guards for additional stability on these taller tubes)
- Green colour allows the correct balance of light wavelengths are absorbed by the tree - a process called photomorphogenesis
- UV¬†Stabilised to provide an estimated lifespan of 5-7 years (please note this can vary depending on location, climate and site conditions)